Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

It's been quite a while since I last posted anything. I had intended to post some pictures from Austin's 1st birthday party but never did. I'll try to do that this week. In the meantime, I have a funny story about Austin.

Austin started attending Rainbow Bible School on August 15. He goes five days a week. It was hard to send him there at first, but he's quickly adapted and is eager to get into the room each morning when we drop him off. Last Thursday afternoon I picked Austin up from school around 4:45 pm. After gathering up all his stuff, one of the teachers followed me out of the room and asked if she could talk to me for just a second. She told me that Austin had a little problem at school that day. Evidently, he and a couple of other children did what little kids do, they fight over the same toy. Well, Austin decided to take matters into his own hands (or mouth) and bit one of the boys. Unfortunately it didn't stop there. He preceded to bite another boy later in the day. All told, he bit 2 boys a total of 4 times!! Needless to say, I was shocked, humiliated and embarrassed!

On Friday afternoon, I picked up Austin with a lump in my throat. What where they going to tell me this time? Had he bit more kids? Did he draw blood this time? I could tell by the look on the teacher's face that the news was not good. He again bit the same two boys - one of them twice, the other once.

That weekend, I tried to provoke Austin by taking away his toys and seeing if he would bite me. I wanted to teach him a lesson by biting him back. Of course, nothing happened.

On Monday afternoon, Shawna picked up Austin with the news that we were making improvements. Austin only bit one of the boys once!

Now, before we go any further, it's important to know that the two boys Austin is picking on happen to be friends of ours. One of the boys (Braydon) mother works in admissions and I work with her on a regular basis. The other boy (Sutton)? Well, he's my bosses child! Fortunately, they understood that this is just part of growing up and are not holding any grudges against us. I was fearful for my job there for a while!

Yesterday afternoon, I made my way to Rainbow Bible School about 4:45. As I was going into the building, one of the boys that Austin has been biting, Braydon, and his mom were leaving. Not knowing quite what to say, I asked Braydon's mom if Austin had bit him today. With an awkward look on her face, she said no, but that Braydon bit Austin! While that was uncomfortable for her to say, I was thrilled. I gave Braydon a high-five and told him good job! When I picked up Austin, the teachers informed me that Austin was bit. I told them I knew all about it. What was interesting was that after Austin was bit, they said he stood up with a puzzled look on his face and went and stood in the corner and did not want to be talked to or played with.

I guess Austin learned first hand that if you are going to dish it out, you better be prepared to take it yourself! Hopefully, that will put an end to Austin's little biting adventure.

For Halloween, we're thinking of dressing Austin up in a straight jacket and a mask and wheel him around on a dolly as Hannibal Lecter!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home