Tuesday, April 17, 2007

On the Road Again.....

Willie Nelson shared his love for travelling when he sang the words to "On the Road Again" in the movie Honeysuckle Rose in 1980. While Willie may have loved to travel and make music with his friends, I on the other hand am not that found of being on the road again. Unless, it's the stretch of travelling I am about to make over the next two months. Here's a preview:

This weekend I will travel to Dallas and represent ACU at an alumni reception in Garland where somewhere around 4,000 church of Christ folks will gather for the North Texas Praise and Unity Service. We're going to host a reception for all ACU alumni in attendance. The next night, I will partner with the admissions office when one of our alumni in Dallas will host a Purple and White Reception for prospective students to learn more about ACU.

The first week in May will find Shawna and I in Malibu, California for the Pepperdine Lectures. I will visit with several alumni from the area and will host a reception for all ACU alums that are attending the Bible lectures. This will be my third trip to Pepperdine and our reception has grown in size each year. This year, our good friends Kevin and Sarah Campbell will be there as Sarah is speaking a few times to teenagers in attendance. We look forward to hanging out with them some and eating some good seafood. I just hope we can find a restaurant that Kevin will eat at.

When we return from California, Shawna and I will spend a couple of nights celebrating our 6-year anniversary at a resort in Grandbury called Rough Creek. I've never been there but I hear it's wonderful.

The next day I will travel to Tyler to play in the East Texas Christian Academy golf tournament benefitting ETCA. This will be the 4th year in a row that I've played in this tournament. This is one of the tougher parts to my job!

I'll return from Tyler and have about 10 days in Abilene before Shawna, Austin and I will go to Leakey, TX for the wedding of Shawna's assistant coach, Terri Twilligear to Nich Pertuit. I'm really excited for Nich and Terri to get married and for Nich to be in Abilene. Nich's been in San Antonio for the entire two years Terri's been at ACU. I'm planning on Nich being my personal trainer so that I can some day get this 37 year old body back into some kind of shape!

We'll return from Leakey and have 1 day in Abilene before Shawna and Austin and I will fly to Playa del Carmen Mexico to vacation with Shawna's mom and stepdad (Sharmane and Neil) and Neil's two sons. We have a huge house with a cook and a maid for 6 days. Wow!!

After returning from Mexico, I'll head back to Dallas to play in another charitable golf tournament for ACU. I know.......

After that, I'll be back in Abilene for 7 days before leaving for my most anticipated trip this year. Kevin Campbell, Garrett Sublette and I will fly to Pittsburgh and will be at the US Open golf tournament on June 13-15. We'll get to be at the famed Oakmont Country Club and watch the Wednesday practice round and the first two rounds of the 2nd major of the season for the PGA. Having the opportunity to watch the likes of Tiger, Phil, Goosen, Furyk, etc, on golf's most challenging course is going to be awesome. And, on top of that, the Texas Rangers are playing the Pittsburgh Pirates in interleague action that Tuesday - Thursday night. So, it will be golf during the days and baseball at night. It just doesn't get a whole lot better than that!

Upon returning from Pittsburgh, I plan to sleep for quite a while!

5 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger GSub said...

Who is this guy Shawn that is going with you and Austin to Leakey?

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

Somebody I was going to set you up with since you won't talk to girls.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...I'm a little hurt that your most anticipated trip is with Keving an Garrett and not the trip to Malibu with ME...or the trip to Rough Creek with ME...or the trip to Mexico with ME AND AUSTIN. Just a little concern I have.
Shawna

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

Thank goodness you're just a little hurt. I thought you'd be TICKED!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Shawna - I noticed that too - I mentioned it to Kevin before I read the comments! I feel ya - see you in Malibu!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home