Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Happy Birthday Mema

Today is my Mema's birthday. To be honest, I can't remember how old she is and I know she doesn't either. You see, Mema is suffering from Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed with Alzheimers several years ago but it wasn't until about 18 months ago that it really began to take it's toll on her. In October of 2004, we had to move her into an Alzheimer's Care Center as my grandfather (Papa) and my mom just could not take care of her anymore. While it was a very difficult decision, it was the best decision.

While Mema doesn't remember that today is her birthday, I do. And today, I can't help but think of some of the more memorable times I've spent with her:

-- When I was about 10 years old, I was staying a week with her. After returning from a haircut, she had me call her hairdresser and tell them that they did a sorry job of cutting hair and then I hung up!

-- One time during Christmas, the phone rang and it was a little boy who obviously had the wrong number. He asked how much we were charging for the little puppy dogs. Mema said only $5,000. The little boy, all dejected, just said ok and hung up the phone.

-- The countless times I heard her tell the story of the time, soon after her and Papa were married, that the local church of Christ preacher came over for lunch. Mema was going to fry a chicken and wanted to do it all her self. So, she went outside, grabbed a chicken and attempted to ring it's neck. Unfortuantely, all she ever did was make the chicken very dizzy!

-- And maybe my favorite story of all time is the time is when her and her sisters were sitting in church (wooden pews) and the man at the end of the pew "cut loose" and the rumble made it all the way to the end of the pew. She says they all laughed uncontrolably for the rest of the service!

I know where I get my sense of mischief from! Thanks Mema.

While you don't know today is a special day, I do. And I have enough memories to last me a lifetime. Happy birthday! I love you!

Mark

1 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

Good one! I even got teary-eyed. Of course, it doesn't take much to make me cry....but well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home