Tuesday, January 10, 2006

An Open Letter to David MacSmith

Chances are you do not know David MacSmith. Neither do I. However, we both spent this past Saturday evening in Bloomer Sullivan Gymnasium on the campus of Southeastern Oklahoma State University in Durant, Oklahoma. How do I know this? Because Mr. MacSmith felt compelled to send my wife an email yesterday afternoon pointning out everything the ACU Wildcats did wrong in the game. Evidentally, this guy is an accomplished critic of college basketball.

Shawna sent me a copy of the email just to see if I had ever heard of the guy. I looked in the ACU alumni database only to find no record of him anywhere. I typed his name in Yahoo and found out he is an artist that went to ACU and Ohio State University. Evidentally, David MacSmith is his "stage name". I'm trying to take the high road here and not send a reply directly to Mr. MacSmith. So, I'm letting him know how I feel through my Blog. While Shawna doesn't let this bother her, it bugs the fire out of me. Just call me an over-protective husband!


Dear Mr. MacSmith, January 10, 2006

It has come to my attention that you watched the ACU - Southeastern Oklahoma State women's game on Saturday evening in Durant, Oklahoma. I know this because my wife received an email from you yesterday afternoon criticizing her coaching decisions. First of all, let me state that as a fan, you have every right to comment on the play of any team you choose to root for. However, what really chaps me is that you have chosen to critique my wife's abilities and coaching style after watching only your second game of the season (you state you were also at the ACU - Texas A&M Commerce game on December 3).

In your email, you were critical of our "one-dimensional offense -- try to get the ball into the post and if that doesn’t work take a free-lance desperation shot." I'll be the first to admit that we did not play our best game of the season on Saturday. However, that exact same offense worked to perfection only two days before when we beat East Central University in Oklahoma 82-78. In that game, ACU shot a season best 56.9% from the field, including 10 of 17 from three-point range for 58.8%. Our post players, who you were highly critical of in your email, accounted for 44 points on 18 of 30 shooting (60%).

You stated that the offense ACU chooses to run is not as effective as it was several years ago when we had two dominate post players. I assume you are talking about Melanie Carter and Lynsie Blau. Where were you last year when we used this same offense, with the same players as this year to deliver ACU's first 20 win season and a trip to the Regional tournament in 7 years? Why didn't we hear from you congratulating us on a great season? Why didn't we hear from you after we knocked off the #12 team in the nation - Angelo State - both at home and on the road last year? Why didn't we hear from you when we went to Northeastern State University and beat the LSC North's #1 team in overtime in perhaps one of the greatest games ACU's ever played? Why didn't we hear from you when we went to Tarleton State and played in front of 3,000 drunk idiots in a hostile environment to win huge road playoff game by 13 points?

My momma always told me that if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all. I guess yor momma didn't teach you that. Do you really think Shawna is going to use your mindless email to change her coaching techniques? What point were you trying to prove? Deep down I feel like I proabbly know as much about painting (your field of art) as you do about basketball. With that said, why don't you keep your comments to yourself from here on out. You say you are going to try to make it to the ACU - Texas Woman's game in Denton on January 28. I was able to find your picture on a web site displaying some of your artwork. I'll be looking for you at that game.

Sincerely,

Mark Lavender

P.S. I really think your choice of painting mostly landscapes is too one-dimensional. Maybe you should branch out a bit and try portraits or abstracts. I also hear they are doing some amazing things with clay these days.......


5 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

GREATNESS

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger D Pitt said...

Wow

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

fyi.....I love Shawna! "Coach of the Year" every year in my book!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Shanta said...

Mark- I found you off D.Pitt's blog. Geez- I had no idea you were so fiesty! I hope he shows up to the game... and I hope I never cross your wife!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Kyle Robarts said...

fight! fight! fight! nice mark ... nice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home