Sunday, June 05, 2005

Shawna, I'm a coach too!

If you've ever played fantasy football, then you'll know what I'm feeling and thinking with this post. It was sometime last fall and I was spending a typical Sunday afternoon running back and forth from the television in the living room to the computer in the study to check my fantasy football team stats. I was getting frustrated as I watched Chris Brown hobble off the field for the umpteenth time while his backup kept getting all the goal line touches. The more I watched, the madder I got.

What happened next is as clear as if it had happened 5 minutes ago. The Eagles had first and goal at the 1 yard line. Having both Donovan McNabb and Brian Westbrook, I was assured of scoring at least one touchdown, and maybe two. The Eagles come to the line of scrimmage and hand off. But, much to my frustration, they give the ball to Dorsey Levens for the easy score. I am livid! I'm screaming at the tv as if I am the head coach and my team is not playing to their potential.

Shawna, laying on the couch, is trying to sleep between my occasional outbursts. Finally having enough, she tells me to quit acting like a child. She says, "It's not like you are the coach and can control what play they run!"

Well, before I can think, I reply: "I am the coach of my fantasy football team just like you're the coach of your basketball team. You get upset when your team doesn't play well and I get upset when my team doesn't play well."

Note to self: Never compare your relationship with your fantasy football team to Shawna's relationship with her basketball team!

My side of the bed sure was cold the next few nights!

Next blog: Sticking it to the Plowboys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home