Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"The Bet"

For those that know me well, you know I have a propensity for opening my mouth and making "guarantees" that sometimes I can't deliver. Well, it happened again!

During the Olympics, I smarted off that I could run the 400 meters in less than 65 seconds. After Shawna stopped laughing, she somehow managed to get out that not only could I not run it under 65 seconds, I couldn't run it under 75 seconds. With my competitive nature, I immediately accepted and demanded that if I could manage to run the 400 meters in less than 75 seconds, I should be allowed to sit on the bench during a road ACU women's basketball game this year. Deal!

So, Sunday afternoon, Austin and I headed up to the ACU track. Shawna was already there meeting with her basketball team. I was so focused on the race I guess that I slammed into the back of a car at the intersection of Judge Ely and Highway 80 (I'll blog about that later). After a 1 hour delay, we managed to make it to the track. I tried to back out as I was not in the right frame of mind. My wife, being the loving and caring and supporting person she is, said absolutely not.

To make a long story short, I somehow managed to make it around the track in 71 seconds! While I did not best my personal goal of 65 seconds, I did manage to beat 75 seconds and secure my spot on the bench for the December 31 game at Incarnate Word. For those of you that don't have New Year's Eve plans, it might well be worth the trip to San Antonio to witness my debut as "Assistant Coach"!

There is an actual video of my journey around the track but I am having a difficult time uploading it. In the meantime, here are a couple of pre-race pictures. The first is one of Austin giving me some advice. In the second, you will see what Shawna thinks my actual chances are of making it in 75 seconds or less!


3 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

DUDE! 71 seconds - that's awesome! I think that whoops me by a good ten seconds or so...as I might be the slowest white man on the planet!

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think, to run a 2:10 marathon, you would have to average roughly 75 seconds for a quarter mile. Do you think you could keep up that pace for two hours? Makes you appreciate those runners more. Nice job!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

You crack me up! I am excited about you getting to sit on the bench - I can't wait to hear the stories from that game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home