Friday, April 01, 2005

March Madness x 5!

I read an interesting article on the internet a few weeks ago about the actual origin of the term March Madness. As it turns out, the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) began a basketball tournamnet in 1908. By the 1930's the tournamnet was referred to as the March Madness Tournament. In the 70's the IHSA officially changed their tournament name to the IHSA March Madness Tournament. It was shortly afterwards that Brent Musberger (announcer for CBS Sports) referred to the NCAA Tournament as March Madness. The two sides have since been in litigation over who actually owns the name. Both sides (IHSA and the NCAA) now have equal control over the term.

While most folks suffer March Madness for three weeks out of the year, I actually endure the torture for over 5 months! In case you did not already know, my wife (Shawna) is the head women's basketball coach for Abilene Christian University, a position she has held for 2+ years. In November of each year, I shed the relatively calm demeanor that most people know me by for the raving lunatic husband, fan, cheerleader and, to Shawna's amusement, unofficial director of basketball operations. I feel as DBO, it is my position to help her plan the next season's non-conference schedule, provide insight of when the team should practice, eat, sleep and travel as well as who we should be recruiting and who should be playing at any given point in the season. I'll share more about some of the predicaments I've found myself in in upcoming blogs!

But for now, I want to brag on my talented wife. I never cease to be amazed at what Shawna can accomplish. She could go an entire year without winning a game (let's hope for everyone's sake that never happens!) and I would still be so proud of her. From the coaching staff to the players, each facet of this program is run with class. I have never been around a more talented, beautiful and Christian group of ladies than the ones that wear the purple and white of ACU women's basketball. But most of all, I am forever in awe of the most talented and most beautiful one of them all.

This past year was a truly amazing year. The preason polls came out and we were picked to finish 5th in conference. No one really gave us a chance since we had lost 6 players (4 starters!) to graduation. But that never phased this group. You could sense the purpose this group of ladies shared. The 2004-05 Wildcats finished 3rd in the Lone Star Conference and made it to the LSC semi-finals. They won 20 games for the first time since the 1998-99 year and went to the NCAA Regional Tournament (the field of 64 for women's basketball) for the first time since that same 98-99 season. We also handed the #12 team in the nation 2 of their 4 losses on the year. Even though the season ended with a lop-sided loss to the #1 team in the nation, I could not have been prouder of each and every person on that team.

I cannot wait for my next bout of "March Madness" to begin...... in early November!

For what it's worth, here are my picks for this weekend:

Louisville over Illinois
North Carolina over Michigan State
North Carolina over Louisville

1 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Corey said...

Alright...not a bad way to start. But there is no way that Illinois is losing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home